Jul 22, 2020
    Fans™
    ✨486,747
    Bias
    J-Hooooope
    spacer.png

The Powerpuff Girls

Photo: Sarah Kerver/Getty Images for Cartoon Network

It made plenty of sense when Greg Berlanti decided to turn DC’s Green Arrow into a Christopher Nolan-esque dark vigilante for Arrow, with the success of that show setting off an entire superhero universe, but it made substantially less sense when Berlanti decided to do the same gritty reboot thing on The CW again with Riverdale—a show that took the all-American teen drama of the Archie comics and added a not-insignificant amount of Twin Peaks and Vampire Diaries to the mix. It seemed ridiculous at the time, and though it still seems just as ridiculous, it obviously worked out pretty well and the show is now a big CW hit. So we should have learned to trust Berlanti and his gritty reboot instincts at this point, and yet… it’s hard not to feel a little hesitation at the announcement of his next big CW project: A dark-ish, live-action version of The Powerpuff Girls.

Berlanti’s not alone on this one, though, with Variety reporting that Diablo Cody and writer Heather Regnier actually created the project (Regnier worked on the Veronica Mars revival, but she didn’t write the terrible finale, so that’s all good). The plan is for this new Powerpuff Girls to be a sequel series of sorts, catching up with the eponymous super-sisters now that they’re “disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having lost their childhood to crime fighting.” Cheery! No word on if any other classic characters will appear, but The Flash has had a big CG gorilla show from time to time so Mojo Jojo can’t be totally out of the question. Also, if The Gangreen Gang shows up, does that mean this show will take place in the Gorillaz universe?

Anyway, for anyone who missed the original show on Cartoon Network, it was about a guy named Professor Utonium who combined sugar, spice, and everything nice in hopes of creating “the perfect little girl.” But Professor Utonium accidentally added an extra ingredient to the concoction… Chemical X. Thus, the Powerpuff Girls were born! Using their ultra superpowers, Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup have dedicated their lives to fighting crime and the forces of evil. Cue killer theme song.

https://news.avclub.com/greg-berlanti-to-do-his-gritty-reboot-thing-with-the-po-1844834184?rev=1598313422777&utm_campaign=TheAVClub&utm_content=1598313553&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=twitter

WE DONT WANT THIS

spacer.png

FALLON974

Trainee
    Aug 2, 2020
    Fans™
    ✨80,111
    Bias
    Villain (PLT)

The Powerpuff Girls

Photo: Sarah Kerver/Getty Images for Cartoon Network

It made plenty of sense when Greg Berlanti decided to turn DC’s Green Arrow into a Christopher Nolan-esque dark vigilante for Arrow, with the success of that show setting off an entire superhero universe, but it made substantially less sense when Berlanti decided to do the same gritty reboot thing on The CW again with Riverdale—a show that took the all-American teen drama of the Archie comics and added a not-insignificant amount of Twin Peaks and Vampire Diaries to the mix. It seemed ridiculous at the time, and though it still seems just as ridiculous, it obviously worked out pretty well and the show is now a big CW hit. So we should have learned to trust Berlanti and his gritty reboot instincts at this point, and yet… it’s hard not to feel a little hesitation at the announcement of his next big CW project: A dark-ish, live-action version of The Powerpuff Girls.

Berlanti’s not alone on this one, though, with Variety reporting that Diablo Cody and writer Heather Regnier actually created the project (Regnier worked on the Veronica Mars revival, but she didn’t write the terrible finale, so that’s all good). The plan is for this new Powerpuff Girls to be a sequel series of sorts, catching up with the eponymous super-sisters now that they’re “disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having lost their childhood to crime fighting.” Cheery! No word on if any other classic characters will appear, but The Flash has had a big CG gorilla show from time to time so Mojo Jojo can’t be totally out of the question. Also, if The Gangreen Gang shows up, does that mean this show will take place in the Gorillaz universe?

Anyway, for anyone who missed the original show on Cartoon Network, it was about a guy named Professor Utonium who combined sugar, spice, and everything nice in hopes of creating “the perfect little girl.” But Professor Utonium accidentally added an extra ingredient to the concoction… Chemical X. Thus, the Powerpuff Girls were born! Using their ultra superpowers, Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup have dedicated their lives to fighting crime and the forces of evil. Cue killer theme song.

https://news.avclub.com/greg-berlanti-to-do-his-gritty-reboot-thing-with-the-po-1844834184?rev=1598313422777&utm_campaign=TheAVClub&utm_content=1598313553&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=twitter

WE DONT WANT THIS

spacer.png

I don't think I'd enjoy it in Live-action 😬. I can't imagine how they would portray HIM. That character always gave in nightmares in the cartoon I can't imagine a live action version. 

Spoiler contains what a live action him would probably look like. Caution: may give you nightmares 😂

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
    Knowing CW in more recent days they probably try to make the character more like (imagine it without the horns and fork)...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyway,

spacer.png

sailorbabe

Trainee
    Staff
    Jul 22, 2020
    Fans™
    ✨48
    I just saw this on twitter, lmaooo someone needs to stop The CW, I remember people were saying that they are using their crappy shows and their 6+ seasons to launder money and im starting to believe it💀

michigo

Slut Kookie Enthusiast
    founder
    Staff
    Jul 22, 2020
    Fans™
    ✨486,747
    Bias
    J-Hooooope
    Greg Berlanti ruined the flash for me and I'll be damned if he takes the Powerpuff Girls too, they need to quit with the terrible live action remakes.

They're always

ladygor.gif

FALLON974

Trainee
    Aug 2, 2020
    Fans™
    ✨80,111
    Bias
    Villain (PLT)
    Some of our guesses for these looks were spot on sadly 😭

7839d584cb85438ab72a9fc0f799156b_lg.jpg

58c74d8469954ff58afff2793caaf461_lg.jpg

9caaf0decd08424fb285bdb2846da515_lg.jpg

db2b390a9da54d65a4fb0d72fb72fa73_lg.jpg

684d522388d3465fb0a641d55d174015_lg.jpg

I'm pretty sure my guess on how HIM will look is accurate 😅

This can't be real tho? Can it? I mean look how the socks don't match and then the hems on their dress in the last two photos. 🧐 If I didn't want it before, they aren't changing my mind