Official Girl Groups Thread

michigo

[ATTACH=full]1120[/ATTACH]

Thoughts on the new group? Seems like opinions are split down in the middle.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="2ewrf00.gif]1130[/ATTACH]

SM coulda kept this...

The only part I like is where they go down during the first part of the chorus and the camera pauses and moves around them, and I know that only looks good because of the camera.

737be2b217c4a663764d60033a26f5663599cb08.gifv

Everything else just looks like they're trying to be ITZY/KDA/BP/G-IDLE all at once and not pulling any of it off.

Also I don't get the hype behind ningning, she looks awkward and kinda basic.

I just need SM to give a proper comeback for RV/Shinee and that's it, none of this new stuff compares at all.

• Like 1

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ATTACH type=full" alt="Webp.net-resizeimage (4).gif]1120[/ATTACH]

Lol, they're very underwhelming considering that they're from the label that launched SNSD, f(x), RV, SES, and BoA's careers. It's now very obvious that this debut was rushed to cover up controversy, and since they have a 1.8 star out of 5 melon this morning, the Korean GP isn't feeling the song either:unsure:.

If they are going to add more members, it could help, or hurt them since it would make the concept confusing if only four girls get AI's and the other don't. However, this looks like a Karina and friends situation for now.

SM was going for a K/DA, ITZY, BlackPink hybrid, but I don't see it working right now because all of those groups are still active; it's hard to copy someone who is still active without anyone making comparisons or choosing the better version.

[spoiler=Rant on Nepotism in Kpop]Honestly, nepotism in the Kpop industry is going to kill it. None of these new 4th gen groups impress me so far musically, dance-wise, talent-wise or anything aside from everglow and ateez. The days of getting groups where maybe one to three members are kind of dead-weight (for a lack of a better expression they aren't as skilled as the others) are gone because none of these girls aside from Winter were ready IMO. The most talented idols in the industry didn't come from extremely rich backgrounds (mostly middle class) and were very talented (Taemin, Taeyeon, TOP, Baekhyun, Hyuna, etc.) or they worked their asses off to prove it (Yoona, Daesung, Sunmi, Tiffany, V etc.). Most idols debuting now are only there because of their family members connections and if it wasn't for that they wouldn't have made it. There are a few wealthy idols that have talent but that's besides the point.

That's why most of the music isn't really hitting for me from the new gen because the talent and/or hardwork isn't there. There was no reason to debut Karina aside from who her family is, there's a ton of pretty asian girls born in 2000 that could have gotten that spot lets be honest lol (especially after all that controversy about her behavior). It's different mindset when you know if you don't give it your all you go home to nothing vs a mini mansion with a loving wealthy family. It's kinda sad to me because the next big thing is likely sitting at home with an amazing voice or great dance skills because they think they won't make it because their family can't afford it.

Plus the industry not wanting to pay their songwriters and cheorographers what they deserve has a lot to do with it too.

• Like 3

"Call me crazy, call me selfish

I'm the baddest and I'm worth it"

~ Rina Sawayama

[ATTACH type=full" alt="Webp.net-resizeimage (4).gif]1120[/ATTACH]

Very forgettable.

• Like 2

I spread love and light unless you deserve pettiness and shade

alt=Dance GIF by Spotifyhttps://media0.giphy.com/media/Y0gq8Uji6VRblCMwrt/200.gif[/img]alt=Korean Drama Netflix GIF by The Swoohttps://media1.giphy.com/media/KH2OI6mwf3Grlw9aDx/200.gif[/img]

[ATTACH type=full" alt="2ewrf00.gif]1130[/ATTACH]

SM coulda kept this...

The only part I like is where they go down during the first part of the chorus and the camera pauses and moves around them, and I know that only looks good because of the camera.

737be2b217c4a663764d60033a26f5663599cb08.gifv

Everything else just looks like they're trying to be ITZY/KDA/BP/G-IDLE all at once and not pulling any of it off.

Also I don't get the hype behind ningning, she looks awkward and kinda basic.

I just need SM to give a proper comeback for RV/Shinee and that's it, none of this new stuff compares at all.

If they are going to add more members, it could help, or hurt them since it would make the concept confusing if only four girls get AI's and the other don't. However, this looks like a Karina and friends situation for now.

SM was going for a K/DA, ITZY, BlackPink hybrid, but I don't see it working right now because all of those groups are still active; it's hard to copy someone who is still active without anyone making comparisons or choosin

Very forgettable.

Wow, it doesn't seem like opinions are split here. Everywhere I looked it was all about this group. Even places that are for soloists artists, so I was like I need to to see what the hype was all about. The nepotism opinion was interesting to read. I never thought about that.

• Like 2
giphy.gif

Wow, it doesn't seem like opinions are split here. Everywhere I looked it was all about this group. Even places that are for soloists artists, so I was like I need to to see what the hype was all about. The nepotism opinion was interesting to read. I never thought about that.

There's just something about them that's been boring me since they debuted and the MV made me even less interested. Winter is cute but I agree with @Ganache 's opinion the blatant favouritism really turns me off. I could see if Karina was remotely interesting, but she like a slate of pale porcelain.

• Like 2

There's just something about them that's been boring me since they debuted and the MV made me even less interested. Winter is cute but I agree with @Ganache 's opinion the blatant favouritism really turns me off. I could see if Karina was remotely interesting, but she like a slate of pale porcelain.

Yeah, I agree with you 100%. The favoritism is too much for me for the lack of skill she has, so I'll probably sit this group out unless one of their songs really kills it. This had happened before with MissA and Suzy, except when they debuted, JYP tried to make sure all of them had a position/role to play. It didn't start getting obvious until Suzy was getting a bunch of opportunities that the others weren't later down the road. When I can see the favorite game being played at debut with any group, it's not for me.

In other news, GFriend killed their comeback! I'm so happy for them! I loved their debut and earlier songs because it showcased Yuju and Eunha's vocals, and the choreography worked for all of them. They were in the running to be the nation's gg for the 3rd gen before Twice blew up. I hope they (and Source Music) continue down this path music-wise because it's a great fit for them.

• Like 1

~ Rina Sawayama

In other news, GFriend killed their comeback! I'm so happy for them! I loved their debut and earlier songs because it showcased Yuju and Eunha's vocals, and the choreography worked for all of them. They were in the running to be the nation's gg for the 3rd gen before Twice blew up. I hope they (and Source Music) continue down this path music-wise because it's a great fit for them.

People overlook groups like Dreamcatcher and Gfriend but they're consistently giving us what we want! Visually compelling concepts and a bomb track to back it up. I love Eunha and Yuju's voices, I don't think the rest of them are terrible singers but those two are clearly the standouts for me. Their subunit song is my favourite on the album.

In other news,

[MEDIA=twitter]1328661100347285504[/MEDIA]

I feel bad for these girls, as much as I was underwhelmed by the song you know they're gonna get blamed for it underperforming not the company or the people that wrote the damn thing.

• Like 1

People overlook groups like Dreamcatcher and Gfriend but they're consistently giving us what we want! Visually compelling concepts and a bomb track to back it up. I love Eunha and Yuju's voices, I don't think the rest of them are terrible singers but those two are clearly the standouts for me. Their subunit song is my favourite on the album.

In other news,

[MEDIA=twitter]1328661100347285504[/MEDIA]

I feel bad for these girls, as much as I was underwhelmed by the song you know they're gonna get blamed for it underperforming not the company or the people that wrote the damn thing.

Ikr! Both of those groups are paving their own path to success, and I'm here for it!:cheering:

Oh wow, it dropped from 1.8 earlier today, yikes, lol. Well, all of the members are considered problematic by Korean standards, especially Karina, and she's the face/center. SM is at fault for debuting a group that clearly wasn't ready and in the middle of two massive mask shattering scandals (Irene & Chanyeol, their true colors were revealed to the public). The people that wrote it just did what SM asked and got a check. Plus we're in a pandemic so any major promotion will be pushed back into 2021. I feel kinda bad, but it's hard for me to have sympathy when there's a girl in the group that allegedly bullied, demeaned, and tormented other trainees for years and got away with it.

This is a case where I hope the members that aren't doing all that and aren't treating others poorly for no good reason succeed.

• Like 1

~ Rina Sawayama

Ikr! Both of those groups are paving their own path to success, and I'm here for it!:cheering:

Oh wow, it dropped from 1.8 earlier today, yikes, lol. Well, all of the members are considered problematic by Korean standards, especially Karina, and she's the face/center. SM is at fault for debuting a group that clearly wasn't ready and in the middle of two massive mask shattering scandals (Irene & Chanyeol, their true colors were revealed to the public). The people that wrote it just did what SM asked and got a check. Plus we're in a pandemic so any major promotion will be pushed back into 2021. I feel kinda bad, but it's hard for me to have sympathy when there's a girl in the group that allegedly bullied, demeaned, and tormented other trainees for years and got away with it.

This is a case where I hope the members that aren't doing all that and aren't treating others poorly for no good reason succeed.

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

Whaaat I did not know this?? Karina did all this and they still not only debuted her but made her the face of the group?? I'm over here thinking they were innocents pushed to debut because SM was low on trainees. Whatever family Karina's from must have that LOONNNGG money because this is unheard of for me. Welp I feel a lil bit less bad for the group as a whole now lolol.

• Like 1

[ATTACH=full]1120[/ATTACH]

I was in a bad mood yesterday and the day before so I don't wanna watch this and get in an even worse mood.

But now that I am feeling better, I finally watched it and I'm just confused. I wasn't sure what to rate the posts because I was so confused.

I don't hate it or like it. I'm just confused. I felt visually overwhelmed and my eyes weren't sure where to look at times. I feel like there was supposed to be a storyline with this, but I don't think there was. It felt like alot of kpop mvs being released nowadays with only beauty shots and choreo scenes.

I think the song had a typical setup, but the way it sounded didn't make it seem that way because the the second verse was incredibly short and that disconnected scene of Karina didn't help with the flow of the song. Plus, the English lyrics made no sense to me and I think having some of the words be capitalized (like FLAT) was a bit distracting; I wish I would turned it off.

My girl Ningning killed it as expected. Winter also stood out to me.

And aespa is pronounced similar to asthma. Interesting...

I'll try listening to the audio again separately and see if I like that more.

tl;dr - This mv confused me.

• Like 2
52d43bb5ccc7a8e226d26a8b2a78b57d058fdb41r1-540-299_00.gif

I was in a bad mood yesterday and the day before so I don't wanna watch this and get in an even worse mood.

But now that I am feeling better, I finally watched it and I'm just confused. I wasn't sure what to rate the posts because I was so confused.

I don't hate it or like it. I'm just confused. I felt visually overwhelmed and my eyes weren't sure where to look at times. I feel like there was supposed to be a storyline with this, but I don't think there was. It felt like alot of kpop mvs being released nowadays with only beauty shots and choreo scenes.

I think the song had a typical setup, but the way it sounded didn't make it seem that way because the the second verse was incredibly short and that disconnected scene of Karina didn't help with the flow of the song. Plus, the English lyrics made no sense to me and I think having some of the words be capitalized (like FLAT) was a bit distracting; I wish I would turned it off.

My girl Ningning killed it as expected. Winter also stood out to me.

And aespa is pronounced similar to asthma. Interesting...

I'll try listening to the audio again separately and see if I like that more.

tl;dr - This mv confused me.

It's like there's too much and not enough going on all at the same time. The visual effects with all the flowers are beautiful but I'm soooo underwhelmed with the song and group. I think the FLAT and Aespa are supposed to mean something within their fandom but who knows what. The first time I heard it I was like what is a FLAT? Is that the sunken place? Are they insulting me??

I'm gonna leave them alone until their next comeback cos they're probably gonna drop most of this confusing lore.

Also I was really expecting the ai dolls to strut out then start dancing but they just stood there.....? I know they're sinking money into animating them but they're really just dead weight.

As expected the camera hard carried this whole thing.

I really think the ai thing could be cool but it doesn't make any sense to me? Like what are they for?

Wow. I have a headache after watching that performance. Way too much camera movement. I think you are right about it saving the performance because any standard kpop camera only needs maybe 5-7 different angles, but this one had at least 20. I can't wait to see what the actual choreo looks like on music shows and get a sense of the girls dancing, stage presence, and lip syncing ability.

And don't get me started on those darn AIs (too late).

1. They look bad. Especially in motion, they don't look anything like them.

2. What was that intro? I get that they are trying to tell a story with the AIs, but it's not going well. For their debut, SM should have focused on introducing the girls into the virtual world while they worked on improving the looks of the AIs. This debut era coulda been about the girls crossing over into the virtual world from the real world. They coulda still introduced or hinted at the AI concept, had these fancy visuals (and maybe even mixed it with some beautiful real world nature shots), and actually told a real story (and saved the blocking of the AI for a later comeback).

3. I was disappointed that the AIs didn't dance with them.

• Like 2

It's like there's too much and not enough going on all at the same time. The visual effects with all the flowers are beautiful but I'm soooo underwhelmed with the song and group. I think the FLAT and Aespa are supposed to mean something within their fandom but who knows what. The first time I heard it I was like what is a FLAT? Is that the sunken place? Are they insulting me??

I'm gonna leave them alone until their next comeback cos they're probably gonna drop most of this confusing lore.

Also I was really expecting the ai dolls to strut out then start dancing but they just stood there.....? I know they're sinking money into animating them but they're really just dead weight.

Not the sunken place. :sobbing:

Honestly, I wanna be underwhelmed, but I am just so confused to feel any sort of other emotion with this.

I might have to wait until their next comeback too. I think I'll watch their first music bank stage and then be done for the time being. I'm not gonna force myself to understand or like this song/debut.

Exactly. They are probably investing millions into the ais and all they had them do was walk out at the end (referring to the performance)? The rest of the world (both mv and performance) was virtual, they really couldn't afford the extra money to include at least a little 2 step for the ais. smh. I was waiting for it to be the killing moment of the mv/performance.

• Like 2

They could have at least have them bust out the sims shimmy smh.

alt=dance dancing GIF by The Simshttps://media3.giphy.com/media/26gsrMBMTdIX68baE/200.gif[/img]

? ? The Sims be hitting it though, I can't deny it. They really know how to break their bones sometimes. If EA can manage to give us some not too stiff avatar dancing, then SM could have too.

Imagine how cute aespa woulda looked doing this:

tumblr_n7r0acNAjZ1qe25e9o2_r2_500.gif

Lol, apparently aespa has their own "language"/"terms" about their concept that they are going to throw into their songs about their "world." :giveup:

I think SM will either drop it and change gears like they did with EXO or continue it because Lee Sooman has a "vision" and wants to see it through like Red Velvet's "red" and "velvet" comebacks & NCT's endless members "rotational system."

Me too! I was waiting for the AI dolls to start killing it like those Vocaloid ones do, lol! I feel like a lot of the budget went into the AI dolls, so having them wink at the girls from a mirror seemed like a waste of money; since SM is not a tech-savvy company, they probably spent more money than they needed to if that's all they were going to do.

• Like 1

~ Rina Sawayama

? ? The Sims be hitting it though, I can't deny it. They really know how to break their bones sometimes. If EA can manage to give us some not too stiff avatar dancing, then SM could have too.

Imagine how cute aespa woulda looked doing this:

tumblr_n7r0acNAjZ1qe25e9o2_r2_500.gif

The last one being out of sync is killing me because that's exactly what would happen ? ?

Lol, apparently aespa has their own "language"/"terms" about their concept that they are going to throw into their songs about their "world." :giveup:

I think SM will either drop it and change gears like they did with EXO or continue it because Lee Sooman has a "vision" and wants to see it through like Red Velvet's "red" and "velvet" comebacks & NCT's endless members "rotational system."

Me too! I was waiting for the AI dolls to start killing it like those Vocaloid ones do, lol! I feel like a lot of the budget went into the AI dolls, so having them wink at the girls from a mirror seemed like a waste of money; since SM is not a tech-savvy company, they probably spent more money than they needed to if that's all they were going to do.

Wasn't exo supposed to have super powers or something? Or was it a zodiac thing? Whatever it was we see how long that lasted :unsure:. At least the Red/Velvet and ever revolving door of NCT make sense, Aespa is just...nonsense.

With how technology forward the country is there's really no reason for the Ai dolls to look like a youtuber made them lol, I've seen artists on Instagram animate for lifelike characters.

• Like 1

Aespa Music Bank performance:

Not bad.

My girl Ningning really shone on stage. I feel like she got a good chunk of center time, or rather she used her time in the center the best.

Poor Giselle, she barely got any screen/center time.

I see they are still using a similar (close left shot and then zoom and pan out to the right side for that one move on the floor).

The choreo as a whole is a lot better than I thought and the song is not as bad as when I first heard it. I think the amount of distractions going on in the mv and performance videos reduced the quality of the song/choreo.

I am excited to watch Ningning's fancam. I also think I am gonna watch Winter's fancam. I would watch Giselle's fancam, but I don't think I'd be able to see her.

Seems like Karina is leader based off of the introduction.

Winter looked like she's been doing for this for years. Ningning seemed okay. Karina looked very nervous. I think she has a lot of pressure riding on her to be the perfect it girl. Giselle was so natural, even though she messed up. She looked comfortable and delivered her lines well.

• Like 2

The choreo as a whole is a lot better than I thought and the song is not as bad as when I first heard it. I think the amount of distractions going on in the mv and performance videos reduced the quality of the song/choreo.

I am excited to watch Ningning's fancam. I also think I am gonna watch Winter's fancam. I would watch Giselle's fancam, but I don't think I'd be able to see her.

I was just thinking I liked this better than the other two performances, the distractions in the mv really overwhelm the senses. Hearing just the song with the stripped down set helped them a lot.

Giselle is the one with straight hair right? I feel like I forgot she ever there lol.

Mamba still isn’t my cup of tea and I can’t get past how much of ITZYs choreography they took “inspiration” ? from but I’ll look out for their comeback.

• Like 2

I was just thinking I liked this better than the other two performances, the distractions in the mv really overwhelm the senses. Hearing just the song with the stripped down set helped them a lot.

Giselle is the one with straight hair right? I feel like I forgot she ever there lol.

Mamba still isn’t my cup of tea and I can’t get past how much of ITZYs choreography they took “inspiration” ? from but I’ll look out for their comeback.

Yes.

Really? I don't follow Itzy, so I didn't know that. It seems that plagariSM is getting "inspired" by everyone except their own minds. I know nothing is kpop is really original, but common now. This is just plain laziness. I get their debut was sorta rushed, but they couldn't have found older RV, FX, or SNSD choreos to use instead. smh.

• Like 2

Yes.

Really? I don't follow Itzy, so I didn't know that. It seems that plagariSM is getting "inspired" by everyone except their own minds. I know nothing is kpop is really original, but common now. This is just plain laziness. I get their debut was sorta rushed, but they couldn't have found older RV, FX, or SNSD choreos to use instead. smh.

Yeah there was a video going around Twitter that showed all the comparisons it was hilariously blatant lol.

SM used to be the leader in concepts and trends I don’t know what’s going on over there now. This is what happens when company heads stay too long at the fair, all these major labels need to step down and allow some new blood with fresh ideas take over the helm.

• Like 2

• Donor

As expected the camera hard carried this whole thing.

I really think the ai thing could be cool but it doesn't make any sense to me? Like what are they for?

The song isn't my thing, but I watched all these videos so I could see what they're doing with the avatars and it looks like not much, huh? So far they seem pretty bare bones animation/design wise (I'm not an expert in 3D modeling and animation, but I work with people who are), so I don't think their management is paying that much to have them done. Until those avatars start doing the same choreography as the members it's relatively easy to do this basic stuff we've seen so far.

The concept, however problematic it'll end up being, is sorta cool, but this song is kinda whatever. The members look good though and I don't mind the choreo!

• Like 2

The song isn't my thing, but I watched all these videos so I could see what they're doing with the avatars and it looks like not much, huh? So far they seem pretty bare bones animation/design wise (I'm not an expert in 3D modeling and animation, but I work with people who are), so I don't think their management is paying that much to have them done. Until those avatars start doing the same choreography as the members it's relatively easy to do this basic stuff we've seen so far.

The concept, however problematic it'll end up being, is sorta cool, but this song is kinda whatever. The members look good though and I don't mind the choreo!

The concept could be really amazing if they went about it in an interesting way honestly. I'm just spitballing, but if they had an already fleshed out storyline with the ai dolls similar to K/DA. Let the ai release the debut at first build some hype about them escaping the their virtual world from this weird goop thing in the mv then debut the real life girls for the comeback where they "escape", have them do their little thing but keep the ai dolls along with them for some kind of interesting tie in.

SM don't learn though, stubborn old men.

Anyway here's a GFRIEND update, a group I'm just now realising has never disappointed me musically and I love them for it.

• Like 2

Full view of Aespa if you, like me, like to see the whole choreography play out.

I'm kinda starting to see what everyone's gushing about with NingNing, she really drew my eye during her parts, she shines better than the rest of them. It's sad that all I could think about is how long it'll be before SM fit her for a pair of hip pads.

• Like 2